* *
* *

Andrews Methodist Church – Home of Mother's Day

Mother's Day plate

Mother's Day plate


Loading

Anna M. Jarvis campaigned for the creation of an official Mother’s Day in 1908 to honor her mother and as an ongoing hope for peace.

She made her request of the superintendent of the Andrews Methodist Church in Grafton, on the first Mother's Day observance was held May 10, 1908, at what was her mother's church.

By 1914, Mother's Day became a national observance.

The church is now the site since 1962 of the International Mother's Day Shrine.

Click here to read about the tradition of Mother's Day throughout the world at the Mother's Day Central website.

In looking at the backstamp for the plate, the monogram GWS is apparent in the dingbat below Grafton, W. Va. The initials stand for George William Staton, a Carr designer and engraver. See also the plates for the Phillipi Covered Bridge and the Tygart Dam.

 

 


 

 

* *