* *
* *

Kenilworth Lodge

Kenilworth Lodge

Kenilworth Lodge

Kenilworth Lodge


Loading

George E. Sebring (1859 – 1927) was a pottery manufacturer from Ohio who developed the town of Sebring, Fl., and hired contractor B.A. Cope to build the Kenilworth Lodge in 1916 as a resort hotel overlooking Lake Jackson for northern visitors to spend the winter.

The hotel, listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 2000, was designed in the Mediterranean Revival style of architecture and is still open today (2015). 

According to Haunted Places, “There are a number of ghost stories surrounding this building, which dates back to 1916. Eerie feelings are reported on the staircase, and doors have been seen opening and closing entirely on their own. One guest heard voices outside his door throughout the night, and when he complained to the front desk he was told the floor he was on was completely empty apart from him. He also woke up during the night with the distinct feeling that someone had gotten into the bed with him.

The ghost of George Parker, a former manager who died in the hotel in the 1950s, has been seen on multiple occasions.

The topmark shows an Indian woman with single feather in hair, sitting on a log, and holding a rifle.

In his Hotel Database, historian Larry Paul indicates that this pattern also was manufacturered by Maddock's Trenton China and supplied by L. Barth & Son.

Distributor for this creamer was Duparquet of New York City.

 

* *